Clara Elsie Gilbertson was born March 4, 1923 in Cameron Township, north of Lake Wilson, MN to Andrew and Hermenia (Beyer) Edmundson. She was raised on the family farm, and attended country school at District 44, and graduated from Lake Wilson High School in 1940. She went to Minneapolis Liberty Aircraft School and worked at Long Beach Douglas Aircraft Factory in Long Beach, CA. Later she worked in Marshall, MN for Dr. Krezer, the eye, ear, nose and throat doctor.
On August 10, 1945 she married Vernon “Mike” Gilbertson. They farmed north of Lake Wilson where they raised four children. Over the years, Clara worked at Campbell Soup Company in Worthington; Mouw’s Hatchery, Leota; and Swift and Company, Marshall, MN. They moved to Lake Wilson in February, 1995. Vernon passed away October 22, 1996.
Clara was a lifetime member of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Lake Wilson. She was a member of Lake Wilson Legion Auxiliary, a charter member of Cameron Birthday Club, members of Jolly Birthday club, Lions club, Senior Citizens and quilted at the church. She loved crocheting, knitting, sewing, quilting, cooking, gardening, leather work and spending time with her family, grandkids and great grandkids.
Surviving are four children, Lee (Ilene), Aurora, SD; Neal (Judi) Lake Wilson, MN; Ronda (Randy) Lupkes, Ruthton, MN, and Merle Larchwood, IA; five granddaughters, Kim (John) Barbagallo, Sergeant Bluff, IA; Michelle Gilbertson, Dallas, Texas, Tiffany Gilbertson, Sioux Falls, SD, Wendy (Travis) Thompson, Lake Benton, MN, Jonie (Kelly) Vanlerberghe, Tyler, MN; six great grandsons, Joshua Kobold, Jared (Amanda) Thompson, Jayd Thompson, Conner Barbagallo, Hunter Vanlerberghe, Kole Vanlerberghe and many nieces and nephews.
Clara was preceded in death by her parents, husband, four brothers, Carl, Henry, Lawrence, Herman, one sister, Agnes Riemer, and an infant sister, Barbara.